Temporary Traffic Management

If you're wanting to complete work on any public space or Council-owned road reserve, you will need approval. Part of this approval process is submitting a Traffic Management Plan. 

Traffic Management Plans must be prepared by a qualified Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS) and comply with all minimum Code Of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM) requirements.

The plan will need to detail:

  • the location of the planned work;
  • what type of work is planned; and
  • the start and finish dates.

The Plan must be submitted to Council for approval before any work starts. This plan once completed by an STMS can be submitted online at Submitica.co.nz.

Nelson City Council produces a yearly Generic Traffic Management Plan (TMP) for non-invasive Central Business District (CBD) works on the footpath e.g. window washing, signwriting, building maintenance etc. All CoPTTM requirements and requirements outlined in the TMP must be followed at all times to remain compliant.

If you need any assistance in finding a local STMS or any other aspect of the Traffic Management Process contact the Network Coordinator, Phone: 03 539 5508.

State Highways.

The New Zealand Transport Agency manages the State Highways. Traffic management applications for State Highways in the Nelson region should be made through their agents.

Further Information

For further information please contact Customer Service +64 3 546 0200 or enquiry@ncc.govt.nz

Further information on Traffic Management Plans can also be found on the NZTA website