Apply for building consent

Apply for a consent

Save time online with self-service building consent applications - paper applications are no longer required. Our online building consent system allows you to submit, manage and track applications, from anywhere, at any time.

Our online building consent system accepts applications for:

  • project information memoranda
  • building consents
  • amendments to building consents
  • code compliance certificates
  • certificates of acceptance
  • exemptions

Register to login to AlphaOne

Registration is a two-step process:

Register online

  1. You must first register in the AlphaOne system. Watch a video of the registration and application process.
  2. Once registered, you will receive an email which will allow you to verify and complete the sign-up process. You will be able to sign in and create an application when you have verified your account.

Submit the application:

  1. Select the application type you want to submit, then follow the prompts on the screen. Blue information buttons will give further information throughout the process.
  2. You will need:
  • all documents in PDF format, to scale, unlocked
  • certificate of title ¹
  • plans ²
  • specifications
  • producer statements
  • supporting documents specifically relating to this project


  • ¹ The certificate of title must be less than three months old. Title can be obtained from LINZ website at a cost of $15. If the site is new and does not yet have a Title, then a subdivision scheme plan is required.  Council do not provide copies of titles.
  • ² Your drawings should include the level of detail seen in the guide
  • The owner, or agent (with appropriate authorisation) may submit the application
  • The applicant is responsible for identifying which building code clauses are relevant, and how the project will comply

AlphaOne Support

Technical support is available from AlphaOne on Freephone 0800 257 424.

Important note

Once a consent has been issued building work must commence within twelve (12) months of the date of issue. If it does not, the consent will lapse and a new consent must be applied for unless an extension of further time to commence work has been applied for and approved by the Building Consent Authority.

Paper Applications

Although we do not recommend this option, it is possible to submit your application in person.

A lodgement meeting with the Duty Building Officer is required to submit a paper application.  Please phone 03 546 0200 for an appointment.